This is what I did. I think some of the spices are unnecessary or could stand to be amped up a little - probably go easy on the cumin.
- Oven to 75C. Casserole pan on medium low heat.
- Soften an onion, a thumb sized piece of ginger (grated) and four crushed garlic cloves in a few good glugs of olive oil, lightly salted.
- Turn up heat and add:
- 1 teaspoon each of: nutmeg, mango powder, coriander powder.
- 2 teaspoon each: fenugreek seeds, medium chilli powder, garam masala, cumin.
- Stir until very fragrant. Add more oil if too dry + burning. Once ready, stir in a few tablespoons of tomato paste and cook out for a minute.
- Dump in (undrained):
- 1 can black lentils in water (organic, unsalted etc)
- 1 can kidney beans in water (as for lentils)
- Half a cup of dry red lentils.
- 1 dried chilli, stalk removed and seeds poured out.
- Half an empty can of tap water + more as needed
- Cook for a bit on the hob, then once it's come together (like ten minutes) stir to get any bits stick to the bottom, put on the lid and stick it in the oven.
- Leave for an hour or so. Check out to see how it looks.
- Stir in some coconut cream and chopped coriander when you want it.