Everything you need for a Tongs Mexican evening for under £15, by Mnki
In my twenties and thirties, I'd go on holidays to the coast with my friends. In the evenings we'd pass the time by chatting and cooking for each other. Since our accommodation was often in the form of caravans, the recipes needed to be simple, but not necessarily fast. Over time, one recipe stood out as our favourite.
It had been developed by Mnki, and was a one-pot Mexican feast, and here, verbatim, is the original recipe.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- one large onion, cubed;
- one small pepper, cubed (optional);
- one chilli, chopped, and de-seeded if mild is necessary (optional);
- one can of red kidney beans (either plain or chilli, it doesn't matter too much);
- one can of spiced refried beans (optional, but this makes it extra gooey);
- one can of chopped tomatoes, or even better, about three large fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped;
- one sachet of taco or fajita mix (absolutely essential);
- one jar of enchilada sauce or taco sauce (optional).
Heat some oil in a pan.
Add onions until nice and soft.
Add peppers and chillis. Fry for a couple of minutes.
Lower temperature. Add tomatoes. Let them cook until they are nice and runny.
Add kidney beans, refried beans, taco or fajita mix and enchilada or taco sauce.
Still at a lower temperature, stir and let all this cook for about 20 to 30 minutes or so. Stir occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick. If its losing too much water, cover the pan.
Serve with either tacos or tortillas.
Very yummy with sour cream, jalopeno peppers, tomato salsa and a finely chopped salad of lettuce, grated carrot, peppers.
mm hungry now.