This is what I did. I think some of the spices are unnecessary or could stand to be amped up a little - probably go easy on the cumin.
- Set the oven to 75°C. Put a casserole pan on medium low heat.
- Soften an onion, a thumb-sized piece of ginger (grated) and four crushed garlic cloves in a few good glugs of olive oil, lightly salted.
- Turn up the heat and add the following spice mix. One teaspoon of each of: nutmeg, mango powder and coriander powder. two teaspoons of each of: fenugreek seeds, medium chilli powder, garam masala and cumin.
- Stir until very fragrant. Add more oil if too dry or burning. Once ready, stir in a few tablespoons of tomato paste and cook out for a minute.
- Dump in the following, undrained: One can of black lentils in water (organic, unsalted etc); One can of kidney beans in water (as for lentils); Half a cup of dry red lentils; One dried chilli, with the stalk removed and seeds poured out; Half an empty can of tap water and more as needed.
- Cook for a bit on the hob, then once it's come together (usually in about ten minutes) stir to get any bits stick to the bottom, put on the lid and stick it in the oven.
- Leave for an hour or so. Check out to see how it looks.
- Stir in some coconut cream and chopped coriander if you want it.