Visiting Bradford-on-Avon and beyond
Here's some places I've been in BoA and Bath so far, or where I'm planning to go next. The stars are out of three and just reflect my personal fondness for the place.
- Hartley Farm Kitchen ★★☆ · ☎ 864948 · ⌖ map · Visiting this place on a 150-acre farm is now a weekly habit. Good food, smoothies and coffee.
- Merkins Farm ★★☆ · ☎ 869487 · ⌖ map · A place to go after a nice walk to sit unrushed overlooking fields, with a generous portion of cake and some good coffee.
- Avon Spice ★⯪☆ · 🚚 will deliver · ☎ 309058 · ⌖ map · A standard English curry house menu with reliable delivery.
- Domino's Pizza ★☆☆ · 🚚 will deliver · ☎ 866866 · ⌖ map · As Dan calls it, greasy meat bread. But on the other hand, they deliver quickly and until 10.30pm.
- The Dog and Fox ★★☆ · ☎ 862137 · ⌖ map · Traditional honest English pub with a fire, real ales and a friendly landlord.
- The Cross Guns ★★☆ · ☎ 862335 · ⌖ map · A sixteenth century pub with a fire, timber beams and a riverside garden.
Note: It's sometimes worth checking ride-hailing apps like Uber (availability/counterpoint), which don't usually take requests to travel from BoA, to see whether they have cars in the area from other jobs.
But, here are the taxi companies I've used so far:
Here are a few places in the region not immediately in BoA. 'Bath' just means the area around Bath as well as the city itself. I haven't included restaurants in Bristol, though the group of friends that I go out to dinner with has collectively made a list of the best that's worth looking at. If you check out that list, look out for the R3 value, the group's collective overall rating for a restaurant.
- Café La Strada, Frome ★⯪☆ · ☎ (01373) 474374 · ⌖ₙ map · Italian café with great ice cream in a choice of sixteen flavours.
- The Packhorse, Bath ★★⯪ · ☎ 830300 · ⌖ map · A community-owned pub in a seventeenth century building.
- The Griffin, Frome ★★⯪ · ☎ (01373) 301251 · ⌖ₙ map · Brews its own beer, has a beer garden, live music, and great food.
- The Fox and Badger, Bath ★★☆ · ☎ 832293 · ⌖ map · Comfy little relaxed pub with good burgers.
- The Hope and Anchor, Bath ★☆☆ · ☎ 832296 · ⌖ map · Conveniently near the south end of the mile-long Combe Down tunnel.
- Pintxo de Bath, Bath ★★☆ · ☎ 463861 · ⌖ map · A cosy Basque pintxo (tapas) bar with a walled garden. They specialise in sherry.
Places I want to try
These places have been recommended to me but I haven't been there myself yet.
- Thai Barn · ☎ 866443 · ⌖ map
- The Seven Stars · ☎ 722204 · ⌖ map
- Widbrook Grange · ☎ 864750 · ⌖ map
- The George · ☎ 865650 · ⌖ map
- Pablo's Bistro · ☎ 866823 · ⌖ map
- Yak Yeti Yak, Bath · ☎ 442299 · ⌖ map
- Noodle Bath, Bath · ☎ 975688 · ⌖ map
- Nata & Co, Bath · ☎ 421850 · ⌖ map
Wikivoyage mentions Mr Salvats, The Dandy Lion, The Bunch of Grapes, The Fat Fowl, Rialto, Thai Barn, Maharaja Tandoori, Beijing Paradise, Riverside Inn, Lock Inn, Out to Lunch, Canal Tavern, Station Place fish and chips, The Castle, The Three Horseshoes, The Plough, China Town, Feng Swei and The Gorge. I don't think I have heard of half of those. In 2016, the Rough Guide recommended The Barge Inn, Sebastien's Bistro, and particularly Cottage Cooperative.